Understanding Front's spam feature

Front sits on top of your DNS provider, so Front will display all the messages that make it past your email provider. This is the case for emails that are forwarded to Front (non-Gmail/Office 365 accounts). Any email that your provider marks as spam will not appear in Front. With Gmail and Office 365 inboxes, Front will pull messages from Junk and Trash, so spam will appear in Front.

Front offers the ability to mark a message as spam. Find Mark as Spam by clicking on the three dots to the right of the conversation toolbar. 

If you're using Front with Gmail, marking a message as spam moves the message to trash and blacklists the sender. When a sender is blacklisted, any future messages from them will go straight into your Front trash. 

This effect is global, across your whole Front team, so please don't mark any messages as spam from senders that your teammates might care about. Instead, you can use a rule to keep those messages out of your way.

If you are using Front with Gmail, then Gmail's spam filtering will be applied prior to your emails coming into Front, so this shouldn't be necessary too often. When Gmail marks a message as spam, those messages will flow directly to your Front trash.

Mark as Spam vs Block Sender

If you're connected to Front via Gmail, Mark as Spam will tell Gmail that this message is spam. If you're not connected via Gmail, then it will only trash the message. When you Block sender, every subsequent message from that sender will be trashed automatically.

12replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • How can I remove an email form "Block Sender" list?

Reply Like
  • Hi Timothée,

Go into your Trash and find the email. Then click Unblock Sender.

Reply Like
  • How can I block a Facebook user that is spamming my our Facebook Messenger Inbox?

Reply Like
  • Pedro Perezim Use the Block sender option.

Reply Like
  • Hi - I accidentally marked an email as spam in a shared inbox. I can't find the email I marked in my trash so I can restore and unmark the address from our block sender list. 

This is a very important sender so please help! Cori Morris

Reply Like
  • We receive a lot of spam in our main contact email. Do you plan to improve your spam detection feature ? (I find Thunderbird very good at it).

Reply Like
  • Nicolas Cynober Hi there, we actually do not have plans at this time to implement our own spam filtering, as there are existing services that do this. We have a few other large projects currently, but I have logged your feedback for our team! 

Reply Like
  • Helena Li Could you share with me services that do this and could be plugged in with Front ?

Reply Like
  • Hi Nicolas Cynober, the spam filtering would be set up at your server level and not in Front, as we are the email client. Thus, we don't actually integrate directly with any spam services as that would be done before the mail reaches Front. At this time, we don't have a list of recommendations as that is not our area of expertise and we don't want to speak on anything that we haven't done ample research on; but I am sure that there are many recommendations on the Internet tailored for your email server! Apologies that I can't be more helpful.

Reply Like
  • Is the "Mark as Spam" option restricted to Admins? Our users can't see this menu option.

Reply Like
  • Hi Chris D it's possible that you have the company setting disabled to allow users to delete conversations, and marking as spam moves the conversation to trash. To check, go to Settings > Preferences (under Company) and check this setting: 

Reply Like
  • Thanks, that was indeed the issue! :)

Reply Like
reply to topic
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 1 mth agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 2686Views
  • 9 Following

Welcome to the Front community!

The Front community is your place to come together and discuss the product, register for webinars, and get support from our help center.

Webinars

New to Front or need to refresh your skills? Join us for live training sessions every week! Check them all out here.

If at any point you need assistance, please don't hesitate to email us: team@frontapp.com.