How to create canned responses

Canned responses are predetermined responses to common questions. Using canned responses is a great way to tackle issues that require a standard or simple response. They allow you to respond faster to incoming emails, and lessen the repetitive nature of replying to frequently asked questions

There are two ways to create a canned response. The first is in your Settings, and the second is directly from the composer.

Option 1 - Settings

Step 1

Go into your Settings and select Responses. Then Add a canned response.

Step 2

Create your canned response. Don't forget to try out our variables!

Step 3

Format your canned response by highlighting the text you want to edit.

Note: if you add a subject, the subject of the conversation will change every time you use the canned response. It will override the previous subject.

Step 4

Once the canned response is created, click Inboxes to choose in which inboxes this canned response appears.

Step 5

Now it's time to use a canned response! Whether you're in the full composer or in the quick reply, click on the tape recorder icon to add a canned response.

Option 2 - Composer 

Step 1

Compose a new message, and draft it.

Step 2

Click on the tape recorder icon and select Save as canned response.

Step 3

Enter the name of your canned response, and click Create.

This canned response will now be available for future use.

Like Follow Reply
12replies
    • Joyce Lee
    • Community Manager
    • 2 mths ago
    • flag

Is there a way to create individual canned responses?

Like Reply
  • Hi Joyce, yes! If you go to Settings, Responses, click in to any of your responses and select Inboxes. That's where you can set it to only show for yourself.

Like Reply
    • Joyce Lee
    • Community Manager
    • 2 mths ago
    • flag

Cori Morris great thank you!

Like Reply
    • Joyce Lee
    • Community Manager
    • 2 mths ago
    • flag

Another question - is there a plan to make organizing/finding canned responses easier? (folders would be awesome)

Like Reply
  • Joyce, we're getting ready to launch a new design for canned responses. It will separate private and team responses. You should expect to see this announcement in the next few weeks.

Like Reply 1
    • Joyce Lee
    • Community Manager
    • 2 mths ago
    • flag

Cori Morris Could you elaborate on this? Or is there any way to give me a quick demo/design overview? We're evaluating whether to make the switch to Front for our support team (we're currently on the trial.) And canned responses is one of the major barriers for us right now.

Like Reply
  • Joyce, sure! Your Account Manager will reach out with more info.

Like Reply 1
  • Canned responses are fantastic! Thank you! A great addition for us would be a way to include a placeholder within canned responses which had to be replaced before sending became possible. To avoid team members accidentally sending an email containing a placeholder symbol (in cases where variables aren't appropriate / available).

Like Reply 2
  • Hi Sarah,

Great suggestion! I'll be happy to add this to our list of requests.

Like Reply 2
  • Sarah, we've decided that this isn't a feature we're going to prioritize right now, but the best way to accomplish this in the interim is to utilize the highlight tool. 

Like Reply 1
  • Links I'm using in canned responses don't show up as links in my actual response, just plain text. Why?

Thank you,

Laura

Like Reply
  • Hi Laura,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This shouldn't be the case. Could you please provide me with the conversation ID for the message you are experiencing these issues with? Feel free to email it to team@frontapp.com

You will need to click on the “i" next to the subject line, and copy the Conversation ID. Please share it with us so that we can investigate.

Like Reply
Mention someone by typing their name
No matching users
Like Follow
  • 9 days agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 908Views
  • 4 Following

Welcome to the Front community!

Whether you're already a Front customer or interested in becoming one, this is your place to come together and discuss the software, register for webinars, and get support from our help center.

If at any point you need assistance, don't hesitate to email us at team@frontapp.com.