How to leverage email aliases alongside your core email address

For some of you, having a separation between your internal emails and customer-facing emails is important. Here is how you can use email aliases alongside your core email address, instead of spending an additional $5 per user creating a new email address with your email provider.

Step 1: Decide how you want to set up your alias

Before you add your alias to Front, think about what you want in terms of team visibility versus having a consolidated view. I'll highlight both of these options below:

Team Visibility - If you want your team to have visibility into the emails that are sent to your alias email address, consider creating your alias as it's own separate individual inbox. This way you will be able to share the contents of this inbox with your team without sharing personal emails addressed to your internal address. To do this, go to your Settings > My Inboxes > Add an individual inbox. Now, skip to Step 2.

Consolidated View - If you have aliases for different brands or even just customer-facing addresses, but want to manage all of these emails in one central view, consider adding your aliases to your existing inbox. To consolidate your alias into your individual inbox, go to your Settings > My Inboxes > Find the individual inbox that has your core email address > click ' + Add a channel '.

If you have an alias for a shared inbox that you want to consolidate into one central inbox, go to your Settings > Inboxes > Find the team inbox > click ' + Add a channel '. Continue to Step 2. 

Step 2: Add alias as a group email 

When you go through the process of adding your alias account, make sure you set it up as a group email address. For instance, if I were to add an alias account for Gmail, I would add the account as a Google Group. If you've opted for the Team Visibility option, you should also make sure you grant access to all the necessary users during the inbox creation process. The teammates who are granted access to your inbox will be able to see your alias emails by clicking on your team icon under the Teammates section in the first panel (left-hand panel).

Step 3: Don't set up email forwarding

When you add your alias account as a Google Group, Front will provide you with a forwarding address. Since this is an alias account, you do not need to set up a forward as all emails that are sent to your alias address will already appear in the core inbox, which is connected in Front, so just skip the validation process.

You will have to send an email to support@frontapp.com  to ask us to validate that email address manually. You will want to have us validate the email address, so you can send emails from our servers. If you'd like the emails you send from your alias to go back to your email provider, you'll want to set up a custom SMTP as well - instructions here.

Step 4: Rules for Team Visibility Option

If you've set up your alias account for team visibility and want your team to have access to all messages that are sent to your alias address, you'll need to set up an individual rule to route all alias emails from the core inbox to your alias inbox. You can use this as your template:

Reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
reply to topic
Like Follow
  • 6 days agoLast active
  • 1381Views
  • 1 Following

Welcome to the Front community!

The Front community is your place to come together and discuss the product, register for webinars, and get support from our help center.

Webinars

New to Front or need to refresh your skills? Join us for live training sessions every week! Check them all out here.

If at any point you need assistance, please don't hesitate to email us: team@frontapp.com.