How to use variables in canned responses

Variables are placeholders in canned responses or signatures that are dynamically filled based on the context. They can be used in both the body and the subject of canned responses. They can also appear in URLs.

Here's a preview of what you can do with variables in canned responses:

Variable Options

Below is the complete list of variables. To use a variable, simply type two double curly brackets {{. The list will appear, and you can select the one you'd like to use.If the recipient name does not exist in your Contacts, it will not populate in your canned response. For situations like this, define a fallback. When defining a fallback, make sure you surround it with single quotes.

• {{recipient.first_name | 'there'}}
14replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Can you have custom variables? I.E. when I create custom fields in Pipedrive and I have Pipedrive integrated with Front can I pull in the custom fields associated with my contacts when emailing from front?

Reply Like 3
  • Hi silopakcirb,

Currently we do not support custom variables. Sorry!

Reply Like
  • Cori Morris I would also love that feature.

Reply Like 4
  • Cori Morris Custom variables would be awesome. We have a number email templates that require manually pasting in things, like order confirmation numbers. If our database could be linked to Front, and we could pull in fields from our own records, we could save a ton of time.

Reply Like 6
  • Cori Morris Is it possible to put text on the left side of the pipe? For example:

If the recipient is a contact:

Hi Cori,

Otherwise:

Hi,

Unfortunately, I expect that:

Hi {{recipient.first_name | ''}},

would get me:

Hi ,

Thank you.

Reply Like
  • Geoff Ball Hi! Unfortunately this isn't possible right now. Sorry!

Reply Like
  • If I understand correctly, this isn't possible yet, but please add my vote to the pool.

Here is the request as a user story: I'm adding an autoresponder for advanced customer service requests (I.E. you've just asked a question that to properly answer it is going to cost you an hour (or some chunk thereof) of a sales engineer's time and we are not willing to give that to you for free in the hopes that you're going to accept our quote.) We charge $150 per hour for this sales engineering service in increments of 10 minutes. Before I know how many minutes it's going to take I have to read the email and give a low expected range and a high expected range. In a sample case I'm guessing 30-60 minutes. When I open the canned response I want a subset of options and variables. I.E. lowVal = 3 highVal = 6 and a checklist of reasons |Multiple Quotes| Multiple Locations| Risk Factors [x,y,z].

Output:

Dear John Doe,

We charge $150 per hour in 10 minute increments for sales engineering support. At this complexity you can expect it will cost you between $75 and $150 as it will take 30 to 60 minutes to finish turning this conversation into a precise quote. The underlying factors to this being more complex than normal are: You're asking for multiple materials that cut in different kinds of shops. You're asking for variations on your vector art which significantly change the scope of the project and the types of machines which can fabricate this. You're asking for post fabrication finishing work which means this one job has to be done by two different shops which adds both risk and cost to the job. 

Thanks,

Your favorite source for Fabrication

At the very least it would be nice if we could just see highlighted areas where the values could be typed into the email and not allow anyone on our customer service team to hit send without typing in a value or deleting the section. 

Reply Like
  • Hi Marc,

That is correct. This is not possible right now. I will share your request with our product team.

Reply Like
  • Any way to add "Link" as a custom variable? 

Reply Like
  • Chris Hutchins Hi there, 

Not right now. Where are you wanting it to come from?

Reply Like
  • Cori Morris from the link field for a contact.

Reply Like
  • Chris Hutchins Oh, ok. I see! I will share this with our product team as a feature request. 

Reply Like
  • Hi there,

Is it possible to use a varible when I'm sending an e-mail to a group of contacts, or a list?

Example, I like to send an specif offer to a group of contacts but I'd like to use {{ recipiente.first_name}} and for each contact it add his own name.

Best Regards

Reply Like
  • Guilherme Valdemarin Hi there,

The best way to accomplish this is with our Sequences feature. That's our version of mail merge.

Hope that helps!

Reply Like
reply to topic
Like5 Follow
  • 5 Liked by
  • 1 mth agoLast active
  • 14Replies
  • 4927Views
  • 11 Following

Welcome to the Front community!

Whether you're already a Front customer or interested in becoming one, this is your place to come together and discuss the software, register for webinars, and get support from our help center.

If at any point you need assistance, don't hesitate to email us at team@frontapp.com.