How to use Front's search feature

Search is quick and easy in Front — we'll get you started by suggesting search modifiers to help you narrow your results.

Search terms and results

Search results match your exact search terms to help you find what you're looking for quickly. Searching for a word like Pete will only show results containing Pete — not Peter or Peters.

If you're searching for an exact phrase use quotation marks around your search phrase to do an exact match, like "Weekly Team Update".

Front also supports searches by prefix. If you're looking for an email from Mathilde Collin, you can type math* or coll* without quotations.

Choose where you search

By default, Front will search in your selected folder. For example, if viewing messages in your Support folder, when you search results will be limited to your Support folder.

To search all your messages, flip the toggle below the search bar to "All Folders".

Search Modifiers

Using modifiers in your Front searches will help you narrow your search to specific team members, inboxes, recipients, and so on. Type + or click on the down arrow to expand the search box for a quick list to choose from.

Inbox name, Inbox type

• inbox:inbox name - search conversations in a specific inbox
  • type:inbox type - refines your search to conversations of a specific type (email, tweets, SMS)

Subject, Body

• subject: - refines your search to conversations with this content only in the subject
  • body: - refines your search to conversations with this content only in the body

Conversations assigned or followed by a specific team member

• assignee:team member - refines your search to conversations assigned to a specific team member
  • author:team member - searches for messages sent by one of your teammates
  • follower:team member - refines your search to conversations followed by a specific team member

Conversations with a reminder, comment or attachment

• has:reminder - refines your search to conversations that have been snoozed or where a reminder has been set up
  • in:comment - searches for conversations where comments have been made
  • has:attachment - refines your search to conversations that have an attachment

Conversations with a specific recipient

• from:contact - refines your search to conversations sent by a specific contact
  • to:contact - searches for conversations sent to a specific contact
  • cc:contact - refines your search to conversations with a specific contact in the cc field
  • bcc:contact - searches for conversations with a specific contact in the bcc field
  • recipient:contact - refines your search to conversations with a specific contact either in the from field, to field, cc field or bcc field

Conversations archived, deleted, tagged, assigned, unassigned etc.

• is:archived - refines your search to conversations archived
  • is:deleted - searches for deleted conversations
  • is:open - refines your search to conversations either assigned or unassigned
  • is:assigned - searches for assigned conversations
  • is:unassigned - refines your search to unassigned conversations
  • is:following - searches for conversations that you follow
  • is:unreplied - searches for conversations that haven't been replied to yet
  • tag:tag name - refines your search to conversations tagged with a specific tag

Dates, Times

• before:today, YYYY, YYYY-MM-DD
  • during:date (ex: during:2016-08 or before:2016-08-31 after:2016-08-01) - searches conversations received or sent during a specific time range
  • after:date - limits your search to conversations received or sent after a specific date

To enter specific dates, use the following formats: YYYY-MM-DD

Using multiple modifiers

You can combine modifiers to search for something in a few different places. Let's say you're looking for a conversation, from contact A, that has been archived. You could search "from:contact A is:archived".

9replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Can we default the toggle to "ALL FOLDERS" - we find that's the one we want to use most frequently.

Reply Like 1
  • Jon Cattivera Currently that's not possible, but I'll share your request with our product team.

Reply Like
  • Cori Morris Is there a limitation to search in regards to age of emails? I have some emails in my frontapp inbox from a year ago however frontapp search doesn't find them. 

Reply Like
  • Tim, there is no limitation to how far back Front search will go. All your emails are indexed once they are in your account. Have you tried using some of the advanced parameters to drill down your results list? 

Reply Like
  • I agree with  Jon Cattivera  . Searching everything is for sure the most frequently used option. I've seen people of my team complaining that they couldn't find some email, but it was because they didn't select the all folders option.

Reply Like 1
  • Andersen Yu all sorted. I signed up using an old trial. I deleted and re-added my mailbox. Working fine now!

Reply Like 1
  • Anyway to make a "negative" search? 
    Lets say I'm searching a phrase and getting to many results... and want to remove all the results containing a specific word?

Maybe like this: 
    things with wheels not:cars

Reply Like 2
  • Kristian Qvistgaard Currently that's not possible, but I will share this request with our product team for future iterations of our search feature.

Reply Like 3
  • Cori Morris sounds perfekt...

Reply Like 1
reply to topic
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Liked by
  • 3 days agoLast active
  • 9Replies
  • 3862Views
  • 8 Following

Welcome to the Front community!

Whether you're already a Front customer or interested in becoming one, this is your place to come together and discuss the software, register for webinars, and get support from our help center.

If at any point you need assistance, don't hesitate to email us at team@frontapp.com.