How to enable and use the Salesforce integration
Like other integrations, you need to be an admin in order to enable the Salesforce integration.
The Salesforce integration allows you to create, view, and edit Salesforce records directly from Front, and trigger automated actions with rules in Salesforce.
Go into your Settings and select Integrations. Click on Salesforce.
Turn the toggle on to enable Salesforce.
Click Link your Salesforce account if you'd like to use rules to perform automated actions in Salesforce.
Click Save to finish enabling the Salesforce integration.
Open the right pane by clicking on the Expand plugin icon located in the top right corner of your Front interface.
This panel will allow you to:
- Create, view, and edit the following Salesforce records related to a message sender: Contacts, Accounts, Opportunities, Tasks, Activities, and Cases.
- Convert a Lead to a Contact with an Account.
- Enforce mandatory fields for creating new records (marked with a red *).
- Customize what fields are shown in Settings. (Front supports Salesforce custom fields, but not custom objects.)
- Click on fields like Full Name, Account Name, or Opportunity Name to view more details in Salesforce.
You can edit most fields by hovering over the field and clicking on the pencil icon. You can also bring the information of any Contact/Lead by clicking on Search Salesforce at the top.
Click the cog at the top right to choose which fields you want to be shown.
If you link your Salesforce account, new actions will appear in rules. Go into your Settings and select Rules to create a new rule. Select conditions (more information in Understanding rules) and select Send to Salesforce or Create lead in Salesforce as actions:
- Send to Salesforce will log the message as an activity in Salesforce. If the message was sent by a Front teammate that is a Salesforce user, they will become the owner of the activity. If no contact or lead can be found in Salesforce, no activity will be logged.
- Create lead in Salesforce will create a lead in Salesforce for the recipient of the email if it does not exist already.
What channels work with Salesforce
Salesforce only matches records for email, SMS, and voice channels. It shows related records for the:
- Email address of the sender of an open conversation
- Phone number of the sender of an open conversation
If we cannot find an exact match for the email, we will try to find an Account that matches that domain. E.g. If email@example.com doesn’t exist in Salesforce, Front will then show records tied to @coca-cola.com email addresses.
When a conversation is between multiple senders or CC’ed recipients, Salesforce will only show related records for the first address or number in the list. You can look up records for other contacts with the Search field.
To use this integration, you will also need to be on a Salesforce plan with API access and sufficient API call quota.
Every time Front surfaces information from Salesforce or performs an action on your behalf, it makes API requests to Salesforce. Depending on your Salesforce plan, you might be subjected to an API quota: your organization is only allowed to make a certain number of API requests every day.
Our implementation tries to limit the number of Salesforce requests as much as possible. For example, the side panel will only make requests if it is actually visible: if another plugin is selected or if the panel is closed, Salesforce will become inactive. However, know that Salesforce rules will generate at least one request every time the rule triggers.
You can review the limitations on the Salesforce documentation.